We have been busy over at Mouse HQ prepping for a big change: This coming fall, we will be launching a new Mouse learning platform in the new school year!
We will update you as we go with more details, but our overall goal for this new platform is to help Mouse students and educators use our activities and projects as easily as possible.
All activities on the new platform will be delivered step by step, similar to how our Specialist Badges are now:
The version of the Mouse platform currently on mousesquad.org will stay up through the fall to help make your transition to our new platform smooth. We are excited for the next version of Mouse and hope you are too!
Have any questions? Let us know, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 over 150 New York City-area youth will gather at the Bartos Forum at the Fifth Avenue Library for the eighth annual Emoti-Con NYC Youth Digital Media and Technology Challenge! The day will include:
- a science fair-style competition for technology & digital media projects created by youth
- awards across several categories for exceptional projects
- great professional speakers
- catered lunch and cool giveaways for all, and
- a raffle at the end of the day!
This is your chance to show off awesome projects that you've worked on this year in Mouse Squad! Projects that are a good fit for Emoti-Con include digital media projects (like podcasts, videos, graphic design projects), web-based projects (like websites, video games, and apps), physical computing projects (things with moving parts or blinking lights), and remixes/hacks/mashups (projects that use content that already existed in a new & exciting way).
This event is open to youth from different programs all over NYC (and particularly from Hive NYC programs), so we need your Squad to represent Mouse!
What You Need to Know:
- WHEN: Saturday, June 11. Students presenting projects arrive at 10am to set up, and audience members arrive at 10:30am.
- WHERE: The Bartos Forum at the 5th Avenue Library in Manhattan, entrance on W. 42nd Street between 5th & 6th Avenues - see a map.
- WHO: Youth in grades 6-12 are invited to present projects at Emoti-Con! Each group of presenters may have an adult chaperone, and additional chaperones and youth who want to attend but don't have a project to present should register as "Audience member or guest". Please note that if you register as audience members your space is not guaranteed, as priority goes to presenters.
- SIGN UP: Register your project team at Emoti-con.org/register. Only Mouse Coordinators should complete the registration form.
- YOUR REGISTRATION FORM MATTERS: The registration form includes important questions about your project(s) that the panel of judges will review as a part of the judging process to gain a better understanding of your work, so you should plan to answer these questions as a team. (If you need to update your answers after you register, you can!)
- WHAT ELSE: The day includes lunch for everyone, swag bags with fun giveaways, and roundtrip MetroCards for Mouse Squad students!
If you're planning to present a project at Emoti-Con, you'll need to bring your project, bring anything you need to display it, and be ready to talk about it! If you're entering your project in the competition, you should also prepare a short pitch--if you're selected as a finalist, you will be presenting your project to everyone at Emoti-Con!
Prizes & Glory!
Five finalists will be selected from the projects in the competition, and each finalist will be awarded one of these prizes: Most Potential for Social Impact, Most Entertaining, Best Pitch, Most Innovative, and the Point of View Award.
So register today--we hope to see you there!
Did you miss Mouse's last Maker Night? Don't worry! Another one is happening on Wedneday, May 25th from 4-6 pm!
Mouse’s monthly Maker Night brings together high school aged and professional coders, crafters, 3D designers, whiteboard artists, gamers, and makers and more from all over NYC. Meet experts, learn new skills and take home something you made! This is the perfect place to try code, building circuits or 3D design for the first time!
Join us! All experience levels welcome.
See photos from previous Maker Nights to get inspired!
This month's Maker Night is Wednesday, May 25th.
Mouse Maker Nights are FREE for ALL NYC high school students, so bring your friends, brothers, sisters, cousins, frenemies, classmates, teammates, and more! Just make sure you RSVP.
At a Mouse Maker Night you will:
- Make something awesome!
- Eat free pizza!
- Meet cool people who also like to make things!
Maker Night Info:
WHEN: Wednesday May 25th, from 4-6pm.
WHERE: Mouse Headquarters: 55 Broad Street, 16th floor, in Downtown Manhattan.
WHO: Mouse Maker Nights are open to all NYC high school students! However, space is limited, so you have to...
No materials or experience necessary. FREE Pizza included!