The BEST BUY/MOUSE Geek Squad Summer Academy: A Summer Camp that sparks passion for technology
MOUSE is partnering with Best Buy to offer the Geek Squad Summer Academy, a camp where kids explore technology and hone their technical skills. Open to students entering 6th through 12th grade, in schools with a new or active MOUSE Squad program, the Academy brings Best Buy Professionals, Geek Squad Agents, and MOUSE together with kids to inspire and guide their technology adventures, help them become technology leaders and innovators, and open doors to future career options. Summer Academy is designed for students of all technology levels – from Certified MOUSE Squad Technicians interested in exploring hot new technologies, to novices who want to gain a basic comfort level with technology!
MOUSE Summer Academy Logistics
Where and When?
- Chicago - July 7 - 11
- NYC (Session 1) - July 15 - 18 (Girls and boys)
- CA - July 21 - 25
- NYC (Session 2) - July 29 - August 1 (Girls only)
Who can attend?
- Participants are students entering grades 6 through 12 in MOUSE Squad Schools.
- Each Summer Academy can accept approximately 40 - 60 student participants.
The Geek Squad Academy is one part of a MOUSE Squad training week!
Here is a brief look at what will happen during each week of the Summer Academy. Kids come from 10 am to 4pm each day!
The Geek Squad Summer Academy, by MOUSE runs Tue -Thur. Each day kids take four hands-on technology classes and participate in fun-filled technology-based games and activities.
- PC Build: Kids learn computer hardware skills, get an overview of PC components, practice building their own computer, and troubleshoot basic hardware problems.
- WEB Wizards: Kids explore the Internet and how websites work and then develop a Junior Agent “website”. They also gain awareness of Internet security, safety and ethics.
- Networking: Lays the groundwork for setting up and managing a computer network including: router installation and setup, wireless networking and troubleshooting, etc.
- Multimedia: Kids gain experience with digital imaging, digital video, podcasting, streaming video and other multimedia recording and storytelling devices.
Games and Activities Include:
- Battle of the Bands (Rock Band)
- Wii Olympics
- Jewelry Making (from computer parts);
- Dance Off (Dance Revolution)